Lemony Marinated Lentils
This big batch of flavorful lentils are healthy and delicious on their own but can be used as a base for tasty meals with minimal effort all week long.
6 cups bone broth
3 cups dried French green or black beluga lentils sorted, rinsed
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat broth and lentils to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer lentils until they are just tender yet hold their shape and have absorbed most of the broth, 18 to 22 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat, add the carrot, onion, garlic, and cook stirring frequently 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked lentils, carrot mixture, green onions, and parsley and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or let cool slightly and then cover and marinate in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. Stir well before serving.
Serving Size 9 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.