Greek Chicken Bowls with Kernza Grains
Yield 4 servings
- 1 lb. chicken grilled, cut in 1-1/2" pieces
- 1 - 2 eggplant, sliced into planks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in half, separated into layers
- Oregano and lemon wedges for garnish
- 1 cup Perennial Pantry Kernza® whole grains (soaked and cooked to package directions)
- ½ cup Salad Girl Lemony Herb Vinaigrette & Marinade
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Zest of one organic lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Lemony Herby Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Salad Girl Lemony Herb Vinaigrette & Marinade
- 1 oz. fresh feta cheese, crumbled
Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve sauce for drizzling over bowls.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place the sliced eggplant and tomatoes on a rimmed sheet pan and brush all sides with half of the marinade. Slide the tomatoes onto skewers*.
- Place cubed chicken in the bowl with remaining marinade, and let sit at room temp for 30 to 45 minutes (or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator). After marinating, thread the cubed chicken onto the soaked skewers, alternating each piece with a slice of red onion.
- Heat your grill (or stovetop grill pan) to medium-high. Grill the sliced eggplant until tender and the slices acquire grill marks. Remove to a plate. Place the tomato skewers on the grill for about 3 to 4 minutes. Tomatoes grill up quickly — keep an eye on them so they don’t fall off the skewer. You are just looking for a bit of char on the tomatoes. Set aside on a plate.
- Grill prepared chicken skewers, turning every few minutes for a total of about 10-12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160° F. Set aside.
- Assemble bowls: Start with a scoop of the cooked Kernza Grain, a skewer of chicken, and the grilled vegetables. Garnish with oregano, lemon slices, and a drizzle of the Lemony Herby Yogurt Sauce.
*Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 1 hour before grilling.