By Anthony P. Landkamer, Chanhassen Wellness Manager
It goes without saying that eating a well-balanced diet and nurturing your body with healthy nutrient dense food is of course one of the best actions you can take to provide for your physical and mental wellbeing. As education on nutrition, food quality, organic, non-gmo, and product ingredients continues to increase, we are discovering just how important the food that we put into our bodies can be in order to keep our physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing functioning at optimal levels. Nevertheless as we move through life, there can be times when our diets alone may not be enough to give ourselves the nutrients that we need. Sometimes we need help recovering from a cold, injury, fatigue, lack of sleep, stress, and a whole veritable array of issue that may impact our general functioning. This is where dietary supplements can be of a great benefit to us and support us during times of recovery. Listed below are Lakewinds Top 10 Supplements for supporting your nutritional needs:
- Aloe: Many people use Aloe as a skin soother for sunburns and as an all-purpose moisturizer, but Aloe Vera can provide a great benefit internally as well. Aloe Vera Juice can be a great soother to the lining of the intestine and esophagus. Daily intake can help to support regularity, and balance inflammatory issues affecting the intestine and colon.
- Arnica: Homeopathic Arnica may very well be the most popular of all homeopathic remedies, due to its amazing ability to help with general swelling, bruising, and small traumas to the muscles or skin. Arnica can be a great supplement to help stimulate the body’s own repair process in a gentle way without the side effects of other over the counter medicines.
- Vitamin C: Water soluble vitamin C is an important antioxidant that is responsible for multiple metabolic functions in the body including tissue growth and repair, blocking free radicals, and supporting a healthy immune system.
- Vitamin D: Fat Soluble Vitamin D is primarily absorbed by the skin from exposure to sunlight. It is responsible for normal growth and development of bones and teeth in children. It can help to maintain proper thyroid function, support good bone structure in adults of all ages, and recently has been found to have a powerful impact on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), in areas of the globe that lack sunlight during winter months.
- CoQ10: A powerful antioxidant that plays a critical role in the production of energy in every cell of the body. Within the mitochondria, it helps to metabolize fats and carbohydrates. It can be very beneficial in supporting the body’s circulation, promoting a healthy heart, and helping to eliminate free radicals.
- Magnesium: This might be the most deficient mineral in the human diet. Magnesium plays a vital role in helping the body’s transmission of nerve and muscle impulses. A diet lacking in magnesium may result in more cramping, stiffness, digestive issues, or sleep problems. Supplemental magnesium can help the nerves of the body relax and also help to improve circulation. Magnesium also helps with the absorption of calcium and potassium.
- Melatonin: This hormone is released by the pineal gland and is responsible for is role in helping you sleep. With our modern day schedules, fast paced life, poor diet, caffeine, and the intense glare from TV and computer screens, our bodies may have a difficult time releasing melatonin, thus causing us to struggle with getting a good night’s rest. Melatonin supplements can be a useful way in helping us resent our internal clocks and assisting us with getting back into a regular sleep pattern.
- Omegas: EFA’s Essential Fatty Acids are often compared to being the engine oil for your body. In addition to supporting circulation, brain health, joint health, and healthy cholesterol levels, their biggest impact may be the ability to balance inflammation in the body. Omega 3 in particular has been shown to be very effective at balancing inflammation due to its ability to inhibit unhealthy pro-inflammatory omega 6’s.
- Plant Protein: Plant Proteins provide a great alternative to animal proteins, especially for people that may have dairy allergies (whey), or choose to not consume animal products (vegan). Plant proteins such as Savi Seed, Hemp, Sprouted Grains and Lentils, in addition to being a great source of amino acids, can also provide a good amount of dietary fiber and small amounts of omega fatty acids.
- Probiotics: Probiotics may be the most important supplement Lakewinds has to offer. These beneficial bacteria are imperative to proper intestinal health. They help you to absorb the nutrients that your body needs to stay functioning, and also help to eliminate the waste that your body doesn’t need. They play a vital role in keeping you regular and also help to support the immune system by establishing a balance of healthy bacteria.