Stuffed with chicken, kale, and goat cheese, these calzones are an easy weeknight dinner solution.
Kale and Chicken Pesto Calzones
Yield 6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded green kale
2 tablespoons chicken broth or water
1 ½ cups chopped rotisserie chicken from the deli
1 jar (6.5 oz) Freak Flag Foods kale pesto, divided
1-2 teaspoons Lost Capital mango habanero
½ cup Stickney Hill crumbled goat cheese
1 container prepared pizza dough from the deli
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and onion over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add the kale and broth and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently until the kale is wilted. Add the chopped chicken, 1/2 cup of the kale pesto and the mango habanero hot sauce. Stir and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and stir in the goat cheese until evenly mixed; set aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. On a floured surface press the dough to a 4-inch round. If the dough springs back, let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Spoon scant 1/3 cup of the pesto, kale and chicken mixture on center of each dough round. Fold in half, gently stretching the dough over the filling.
- Using a fork, press seams to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with additional kale pesto sauce for dipping and hot sauce for extra flavor.
Tip: The filling can be made 1 day ahead; transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.