Jalapeño Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Avocado Crema
Yield 6 servings
A burger with a kick! These hearty black bean burgers are topped with an avocado crema and lots of fresh flavor for a delicious and filling meal!
Jalapeño Black Bean Veggie Burgers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, undrained
1 fresh jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 burger buns, split, toasted
2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Superior Fresh Butterhead lettuce
Chopped fresh cilantro
Fresh jalapeño slices
Thinly sliced red onion
- In a food processor or blender, place beans. Cover and process on high speed until slightly mashed. Remove beans from the food processor to medium bowl. Stir in jalapeño, bread crumbs, garlic, chili powder, salt, and egg.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook 3 patties at a time in oil 5 to 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and thoroughly cooked on both sides. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine the avocado, crema, lime juice, and salt in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Spread bun bottoms with avocado crema. Top with lettuce, black bean patties, tomato and, jalapeño slices. Cover with bun tops.
Make it Gluten Free! Use gluten-free bread crumbs and gluten-free buns for a gluten-free version.
Make it vegan! Use a flax-egg or egg replacer for the egg in the black bean burger to help hold it together. Use a plain full fat non-dairy yogurt or vegan sour cream and leave out the queso fresco for the avocado crema.