Jalapeño Black Bean Veggie Burgers with Avocado Crema
Yield 6 servings
A burger with a kick! These hearty black bean burgers are topped with an avocado crema and lots of fresh flavor for a delicious and filling meal!
Jalapeño Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, undrained
- 1 fresh jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1½ cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 burger buns, split, toasted
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- chopped butterhead lettuce
- chopped fresh cilantro
- fresh jalapeño slices
- sliced tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- In a food processor or blender, place beans. Cover and process on high speed until slightly mashed.
- Remove beans from the food processor to medium bowl. Stir in jalapeño, bread crumbs, garlic, chili powder, salt, and egg.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties, about ½ inch thick.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, cook 3 patties at a time in oil 5 to 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and thoroughly cooked on both sides. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Alternatively, heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill patties 3-4 minutes per side. Avoid turning them multiple times as they may break apart.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine the avocado, crema, lime juice, and salt in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Spread bun bottoms with avocado crema. Top with lettuce, black bean patties, tomato and, jalapeño slices. Cover with bun tops.
Make it Gluten Free! Use gluten-free bread crumbs and gluten-free buns for a gluten-free version.
Make it vegan! Use a flax-egg or egg replacer for the egg in the black bean burger to help hold it together. Use a plain full fat non-dairy yogurt or vegan sour cream and leave out the queso fresco for the avocado crema.