- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups water or stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed, cracked (see note)
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Garam masala
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil (or another neutral flavored oil)
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1½" knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 28 oz can of crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes, liquid preserved
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Kosher salt & cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked jasmine rice
For the lentils:
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then add them to a medium saucepan and add water until lentils are covered by 1 inch of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Drain and return to pan with ½ teaspoon of salt. Set aside until ready to use.
For the curry:
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven heat two tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot and begins to shimmer, add the cracked coriander, chili flakes, and black mustard seeds.
- Sauté until the mustard seeds begin to pop, then add the turmeric and Garam masala and sauté for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan along with the onions and a pinch of salt and sauté until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir for about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and the prepared lentils and stir.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens a bit.
- Toss in most of the cilantro and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve over jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro.
Cooked lentils can be easily frozen for future recipes, so feel free to cook a few batches at once and store in airtight containers.
To crack coriander seeds use a mortar and pestle, or wrap in a tea towel or plastic bag and lightly crush with a rolling pin. Don't crush them into a powder. A good crack is all they need to release their flavor.