Call for Applicants
Join Lakewinds’ Board of Directors
Do you care deeply about the future of our co-op? Take another step as an owner of Lakewinds Food Co-op and submit an application for a position on our board of directors. The board is elected by owners to serve as their representatives and ensure the co-op remains focused on our vision and mission. This year three of nine seats are up for election.
Board responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the co-op’s financial condition
- Connecting to our owners
- Shaping our co-op’s vision
- Working closely with the general manager to set long-term strategies to attain this vision
Board member qualifications include:
- Being a member-owner of the co-op in good standing
- Not currently employed by Lakewinds Food Co-op or any competing grocer
- Strong communication skills, strategic thinking, and leadership experience
- Experience making decisions in a group setting
- Ability to undertake fiduciary responsibility on behalf of the cooperative and its member-owners
Ideal candidates share a passion for helping the co-op achieve success. They have a clear understanding of what it means to participate on a policy board. They bring skill sets from a variety of industries and other board or life experiences, combined with a strong desire to help the co-op continue as a valuable community resource.
Board members are elected to a three-year term. Board meetings are held monthly, except in December. The average monthly commitment is 5-10 hours (more for officers), depending on individual committee and project workloads. Board members receive a stipend and a discount on grocery purchases.
In July, the board may interview applicants to better assess their interests and qualifications before approving the slate on July 27, 2020.
Board meetings are held at the administrative office in Eden Prairie.
Applications for the 2020 board of directors closed on June 30, 2020 at 5 pm CST.
Candidate bios will be online and mailed to owners at the end of August, with voting starting September 1, 2020. Election results will be announced at our annual meeting on September 20, 2020.