.Lakewinds Co-op Meat & Seafood is hiring a current or aspiring meat cutter.
Our business depends on building a team of individuals who understand the importance of customer service skills. Storytelling skills are crucial, as we are here to answer questions about food systems and the ethics of sustainable animal production. A love of cooking, or an interest in learning, is important for all members of our team. A willingness to engage customers in conversation, share recipes, and answer questions is what sets us apart from other meat and seafood departments.
Establish yourself in the department and grow as a fishmonger, sausage maker, or butcher. Lakewinds Co-op work culture appreciates the importance of every job and every worker. Apply today for a rewarding position working for Meat & Seafood.
- Prepare cuts of meat for best yield and customer appeal.
- Work safely following established job safety and sanitation guidelines.
- Wrap and label product following established procedure.
- Display meat and seafood to give impression of abundance and quality.
- Maintain proper storage conditions for correct temperatures and to avoid cross-contamination.
- Assist customers in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner.
- Answer customer questions regarding products.
- Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to prepare products.
- Answer the phone promptly and handle phone calls in a professional manner.
- Help customers place special orders.
- Cut portions, package, label, and price product.
- Check deliveries carefully against invoice for damage, quality and accuracy.
- Follow established procedure regarding discrepancies.
- Help with unloading as necessary.
- Rotate deliveries into storage.
CLEANING AND SANITATION
- Maintain meat and seafood displays, freezer, prep and storage areas in clean, orderly condition, meeting established safety and sanitation guidelines.
- Scrub and rinse blocks, floors, walls, and cases following established procedure.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of various cuts and grades of beef, pork, chicken and seafood.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and leadership skills.
- 1+ years of meat cutting experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, brokers, coworkers and customers.
- Ability to read, count and write to complete all documentation accurately.
- Ability to move, lift or handle merchandise throughout the store generally weighing up to 50 pounds repeatedly and 80 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to lift up to approximately 50 pounds repeatedly, and 80 pounds occasionally
- Ability to work in temperatures below 40° for up to several hours at a time, and below 10° for more than ½ hours at a time
- Must be 18 years or older